UPDATE from Jodie
I am incredibly humbled by how many emails I received concerning Chantele. While I knew she had a lot of people who read this site I never imagined it was this many.
I just received this email from Chan's step-mom. I didn't post any information on here earlier out of respect for her family because I do know that she has many family members who check this blog.
Jodie,
What we know; Chan did not have a heart attack as was previously told to us, she went into cardiac arrest. One of Chan's co-workers called 911 at Chan's urging. Moments after EMT arrived she went into arrest. They were able to shock and revive her within a minute - which is what saved her life. She is pretty much out of it. They have her sedated, although she was awake for about 20 minutes last night. Long enough for everyone to see her. She has a breathing tube and is not able to talk at all. She is also back on morphine and will probably be on it for a while.
Her oncologist met with us last night and answered pretty much all of our questions. The reason they brought her here to this hospital instead of where her doctor is at is because they weren't able to get a stable beat from her. They've done all kinds of tests and have determined that she arrested due to lack of oxygen to the heart. They do not believe she suffered any brain damage, which is such a tremendous blessing. Her biggest threat right now is how swollen her throat is. Her doctor wants her moved ASAP. And we're told that will happen once she is more stable. Once she is moved they want to get her throat dilated. Her doctors want to do surgery to remove the tumor that is still there and start her on another chemo drug. However, since she has reacted to the humidity in this way they will probably do surgery here and then have her start chemo back home.
When we asked who needed to stay, as you know the whole clan is here, her doctor said whoever wanted to enjoy California. As of now Pat, Chuck, myself and Jordan are staying. The rest are going home today and tomorrow.
When asked how long we should plan to stay we were told at least 2 weeks, probably more like 4-6, and possibly 8 weeks or longer. We all laughed when the doctor said it all depends on how stubborn Chan is.
While she looks a lot better than any of us thought she would, she is still in critical condition and extremely sick. But she is alive and that is all that matters here.
I just spoke to Pat and she says everyone on her side of the family has been informed. And Chuck said all on our side know as well. So you can post to her site now.
We'll let you know more once we know.
Love,
Dana
Wednesday, May 21, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)








9 comments:
WOW!!!! Jodie.Dana, I am in shocked-this is not what I was expecting to hear at all.Im blown away and cant believe this is happening to Chana-that poor woman has been thru more then anybody i will ever know~heartofafighter~that she is right?! I know she's out of it but please tell her to continue to fight-we all need her more then she knows-she thinks she needs us but i think its the other way around! Jodie thanks so much for updating us and sharing Dana's email with all of us...please contiue to update when you can...Tell Pat and Jordan that im so sorry they are going thru this-what a close family and all they been thru. ALL OF CHANA'S FRIENDS.FAMILY STAY POSITIVE-i belive in her strength to live and she hasnt sounded this good in a long time and she was sooooo excited to see her daddy!!!
Give her love from Patti and tell her im counting on those other phone calls soon...
I am covered in goosebumps knowing she's got it in her to fight. THank you so much for posting this on her behalf. I have never been so inspired by someone- send her all of my love!
It has been a very long time since I have been in touch with Chantele. Way back in the days of the other blog. I am just now hearing of all she has been through.
I will be checking in to hear of her progress and wanted to leave word for her that there is yet one more person holding her close in thought and spirit.
Thank you Jodie so much for updating us on Chantele... I will continue to pray for her and all of you too.
Please pass on the love & hugs from us all... Tell her to keep that fighting spirit going strong.
Thank you so much for keeping us updated! Chan is a strong and amazing woman! I KNOW she can beat this!!!
Sam
Peace and many prayers for Chana and her family.
I am new to her blog (she was kind enough to link my daughters story...)
I will pray for strength,peace and comfort for Chana all of those around her.
Sending prayers and good vibes. She is a tough lady!
Keep smilin!
Curious what hospital she is in - just a blogger from CA. Stacy
I am sending thoughts and prayers Chan's way. Stay strong and keep fighting. {{{hug}}}}
Post a Comment